2-7. PRECISION APPROACH OPERATION. (CONT)
6. Place TRANSMITTER switch (6) to WIDE PLS position.
7. Press HV ON switch (7). The indicator light in the switch will light.
8. Rotate EL TARGET control (8) fully counterclockwise to WIDE position.
During the precision approach mode of operation, video clutter will be caused by nearby large objects and distant terrain
(ground returns). Clutter due to precipitation will also add to the problem of tracking an aircraft when landing. Examples
of video clutter and ways to reduce it are shown on the following page. The operator should utilize the controls that best
suit his or her needs.
Procedures for reducing video clutter due to ground returns and precipitation are
given in Search Operation, Reducing Video Clutter (para 2-6).
Examples of Video Clutter
1. View A exhibits a typical display of video clutter that may exist on crt display when FTC switch is in OFF
position, and TRANSMITTER switch is in WIDE PLS position. Clutter may cause difficulty in reading target
return on crt display.
2. View B exhibits clutter being reduced after placing TRANSMITTER switch to NAR PLS position and FTC
switch remaining in OFF position.