5.18.2 Removal/Replacement Procedures AB-1248
18.104.22.168 Resolver B2 (Data Gear Assembly). -
Before initiating any removal and replacement
activity at Antenna Pedestal AB-1248 insure that all
2. Open the forward access hatch.
power is removed from the equipment by performing the
3. Disconnect the harness at the data gear
assembly connector location with a grease pencil, near
1. Set ON/OFF Safety switch at front of pedestal
the data gear location.
4. Remove the 2 alien screws holding the gear
2. Set POWER switch to OFF at (master) Indicator
assembly, and lower the gear assembly down and out of
3. Turn off and tag ship's circuit breakers which
5. Disconnect the resolver wires, noting hookup
6. Remove the 3 screws that attach the resolver to
There are three access ports to be used for
the gear assembly, and pull the resolver out.
disassembly or service functions: a large front access
7. Reassemble in the reverse of above.
hatch with captive fasteners only to be released; and
Synchro Transmitter B3 (Data Gear As-
two aft openings, upper and lower. Use only tools of a
22.214.171.124 Drive Belt (Matched Pair). -
2. Remove the data gear assembly per paragraph
2. Access for belt removal is through the forward
3. Remove the 4 screws at the base of the
access hatch and the lower aft covered opening.
synchro, and loosen the lock nut assembly that attaches
3. Do not force belts over sheaves. Back off on
the shaft on the synchro to the gear assembly shaft, and
the turnbuckle accessible through the forward access
remove the synchro.
hatch. Turn the lock nut clockwise when facing aft, and
4. Reassemble in the reverse of above using
the turnbuckle counterclockwise to loosen sheaves.
loctite on the gear assembly shaft.
4. Slip belts from sheaves in both forward and aft
Gear Reducer Assembly (Pedestal Drive
Assembly) . -
5. Reassemble in the reverse of above. Apply
tension until belt at mid-span has 1/8-inch deflection
when 4 to 5 pounds is applied. After tensioning, tighten
the turnbuckle anchor bolt and locknuts on the
4. Remove the 16 bolts that attach the pedestal
drive assembly to the pedestal assembly.
126.96.36.199 Drive Motor B1. -
5. Remove the pedestal drive assembly up and
out. A crane is necessary for this procedure.
6. Remove the four adapter coupling bolts
3. Remove aft top cover (9 bolts and 1 eye bolt) .
attaching the reducer assembly to the pedestal drive
4. Turn the blower wheel until the flat of the motor
assembly, and slide the reducer assembly away.
shaft faces the accessible area needed to place a tool
7. Reinstall using the reverse of the above.
into the 5/16-24 set screw holding the blower wheel firm
188.8.131.52 Rotary Joint Assembly. -
to the shaft.
5. Pull the blower wheel up off the shaft.
2. Access for this procedure uses the forward
3. Remove the ten 1/4 inch stainless steel screws
The forced fit of the blower wheel
that secure the transition from the rotary joint and
onto the shaft necessitates a special
remove the transition.
tool to aid in the removal of the
4. Remove the four 7/16 inch stainless steel cap
blower wheel and caution must be
screws from the wave guide portion of the rotary joint.
used to avoid damage to the blower
5. Carefully remove the wave guide portion from
the rotary joint making sure not to damage the probe.
6. Remove the 2 self--thread screws and 2 motor
6. Loosen the 7/16-inch nut on the V-band clamp
cover screws to release the baffle plate.
and carefully lower the assembly down under the
7. Disconnect the motor hook up wires, noting the
pedestal assembly. The fit is tight due to an O-ring
between the pedestal housing and the rotary joint
8. Remove the 4 hex head bolts at the base of the
housing, therefore the rotary joint assembly must be
motor using the aft lower access, and lift the motor up
PULLED down and out.
9. Reassemble using the reverse of above.