azimuth drive shaft.
(40) Secure slipring (94) to azimuth drive shaft (95)
using screw (93).
(41) If spur gear (85) and spur gear (86) have been
Clean and prepare area around cable
separated, align dowel pin hole in spur gear (85) over pin
assembly (42) to accept potting
(87) in spur gear (86) and press gears together.
(42) Slide spur gears (85 and 86) onto spline on
azimuth drive shaft (95) and secure in place with nut (83)
(55) Using Pro-Seal 727 or equal, mix by weight
and key washer (84).
100 parts potting compound and 12 parts accelerator.
(43) Install bearing (80), preformed packing (82),
Stir mixture for three minutes until smooth paste is
and spacer (70) on azimuth drive shaft (95).
(44) Place gasket (79) in position and carefully
(56) Pour potting compound into connector bracket
install azimuth drive housing cover (78) on azimuth drive
(41) and a long cable assembly (42), filling connector
housing (101) making sure spur gear (85) engages anti-
bracket and slot in azimuth drive shaft.
backlash gear (111).
(57) Smooth potting compound with spatula or flat
(45) Secure azimuth drive housing cover (78) in
piece of wood until level with top of azimuth drive shaft
and slot inside shaft is filled.
washers (73), 13 screws (75), nuts (74), lockwashers
(58) Allow potting compound to cure for four hours
(76), and 26 flat washers (77).
at 77F, followed by two hours at 130F, or allow 24
(46) Carefully install seal (81) over azimuth drive
hours at 770F.
shaft (95) and into azimuth drive housing over (78).
(59) After potting compound has cured, trim wires
(47) Secure spacer (70) in place using nut (68) and
on end of cable assembly (42) inside azimuth drive
key washer (69).
housing and solder to slipring (94).
(48) Place end of cable assembly (42) inside
connector bracket (41), then using schematic of antenna
drive assembly (azimuth) as a guide (fig. 7-64), solder
Refer to the schematic for the antenna
wires to connectors J1002 and J1004 (43 and 47).
drive assembly (azimuth) (fig. 7-64) for
(49) Attach connector J1002 (43) to connector
wire connections to slipring.
bracket (41) using four screws (44), lock- washers (45),
and flat washers (46).
(60) Dress wires so they do not touch any part of
(50) Attach connector J1004 (47) to connector
azimuth drive housing as azimuth drive shaft is rotated.
(61) Loosely attach electrical contact brush (26) to
and flat washers (50).
brush bracket (27) using two nuts (23), screws (24), and
(51) Place small amount of silicone compound G-
flat washers (25).
692 around cable hole inside of azimuth drive shaft.
(62) Install brush bracket (27) inside azimuth drive
(52) Position cable assembly (42) in place on
azimuth drive shaft, then attach connector bracket (41) to
flat washers (25).
azimuth drive shaft using two screws (38) and
(63) Adjust electrical contact brush (26) so fingers
are properly seated against slipring (94), then tighten
Cables from connector covers (40)
should be attached under each of the
In the following step, be sure wires are
passed through gasket (63) before they
are soldered to connector (62).
(53) Install connector covers (40) on connectors
(64) Using schematic of azimuth drive assembly as
(43 and 47).
a reference (fig. 7-64), solder wires between electrical
(54) Dress wires from cable assembly (42) inside
contact brush (26), connector J1001 (62), synchro (122),
connector bracket (41) and along azimuth drive shaft
variable resistor (131), and switches (146, 153, and 160).
(95) so wires do not protrude above top surface of